2009 'Have Read It' List

Every year I decide I'm going to do this. Every year in about June that is. This year, maybe because I don't have enough to do, I've gotten on top of it early: My Reading List.

I've thought long and hard about writing comments about each one, or rating them out of ten, or stars or goldfish but have concluded that all those things are insanely subjective anyway. So in the spirit of being completely subjective I am going to restrict myself to two subjective words for every book.

Consider that my disclaimer.

You can check the list anytime you like by clicking on the 'Have Read It' button in the left side bar. The books will goo on within days of finishing - if not hours.

Without further mumbling, here they are so far.

2009 'Have Read It' List
- in order of having been read from top to bottom.

1) Twillight by Stephenie Meyer
- Completely Obsessed!

2) Assassins Apprentice (The Farseer Trilogy) by Robin Hobb
- Consuming goodness.

3) New Moon by Stephenie Meyer
- Couldn't stop!

4) Royal Assassin (The Farseer Trilogy) by Robin Hobb
- Tediously Entertaining.

5) Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer
- Love! Edward!

6) Assassins Quest (The Farseer Trilogy) by Robin Hobb
- Gratifyingly completed.

7) The Nation by Terry Pratchett
- Hilariously Brilliant!

8) The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards
- Gut-wrenching catalyst.

9) Seven Ancient Wonders by Matthew Reilly
- Ultimate Action.

10) The Opposite of Love by Julia Buxbaum
- Self-indulgent mush.

11) Bones to Ashes by Kathy Reich
- Brilliant. Addictive.

12) The Locus Awards: Thirty Years of the Best in Fantasy and Science Fiction by Many, many people
- Bizarre. Fascinating. (Note: There were 18 stories in this book and each was such a unique piece of writing that it would be difficult to write only two words on each story let alone the entire compilation.)

13) Foxmask by Juliet Marillier
- Haunting. Beautiful.

14) The Secrets of the Cave by Phillipa Bower
- Captivating. Emotive.

15) Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
- Near perfect.

16) The Miracle at Speedy Motors by Alexander McCall Smith
- Mildly entertaintaing.

17) Whispering in God's Ear: True Stories Inspiring Childlike Faith Compiled by Wayne Holmes
- Inspiring! Powerful.

18) Obernewtyn (Book 1) by Isobelle Carmody
- Childhood favourite.

19) Farseekers (Book 2) by Isobelle Carmody
- Comfort read.

20) Ashlings (Book 3) by Isobelle Carmody
- Forever favourite. (I seriously love these books and have read them so many times - not something I can usually do!)

21) The Keeping Place (Book 4) by Isobelle Carmody
- Love Love.

22) The Stone Key (Book 5) by Isobelle Carmody
- New Love! (Ok, so my comments on these books are not very helpful suffice it to say that I am one whole leg over the line for being a nerd about these books. The first one came out when I was 11 years old and I read it straight away. The second and third came out in 1997 and the fourth came out in 2000. This book, the fifth, was released this year - 2009. It's along time to wait to hear how a story ends only to discover there is still one more to come (possibly September this year but with 17 years between the 1st and the 5th who knows!). I've grown up knowing and loving these people and their adventures and always wishing I was the main character. I've read them so many times that to say anything other than that I love them is not enough. I'm so glad Joel loves them too!)

23) The Mercy of Thin Air by Ronlyn Domingue
- Enthralling Construction.

24) Temple by Matthew Reilly
- Gripping Action.

25) Vision in White by Nora Roberts
- Enjoyable Chic-Lit.

26) The Bright Forever by Lee Martin
- Creepily observant.

27) Deja Dead by Kathy Reichs
- Scary! Excellent.

28) Death Du Jour by Kathy Reichs
- Morbidly entertaining.

29) The Flood by David Maine
- Brilliant. Uncompromising retelling. (3 words I know - but this is a truly fantastic book)

30) Jasmyn by Alex Bell
- Fairytale Awesomeness. (I have been raving about this book by 23 year old Alex Bell since reading it. Anyone who loves a modern fairytale will be completely captivated by this book. I'm on the hunt for everything else she writes from now until forever!)

31) The Road Home by Tommy Tenney & Mark Andrew Olsen
- Heart Opening. (This is the story of Ruth and Naomi from the Bible told as women in the present day. I could say a lot more about this book too!)

32) Hadassah: One Night with the King by Tommy Tenney & Mark Andrew Olsen
- Awe Inspiring. (The story of Queen Esther. I admire and am inspired by this woman so, so much...)

33) Beauty by Robin McKinley
- Gorgeous. Involving. (Retelling of Beauty and the Beast. What's with reading retellings at the moment??!)

34) Angels Fall by Nora Roberts
- Absorbing mystery.

35) Tethered by Amy MacKinnon
- Devastatingly real.

36) The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen
- Magical. Moorish!

37) Saving Grace by Ciara Geraghty
- Comically Irish .

38) The Betrayal (Abram's Daughters Book 1) by Beverly Lewis
- Spell-binding. Transporting. (to the Amish life)

39) The Covenant (Abram's Daughters Book 2) by Beverly Lewis
- Gripping. Gentle.

40) The Sacrifice (Abram's Daughters Book 3) by Beverly Lewis
- Heart-rending. Faithful.

41) The Prodigal (Abram's Daughters Book 4) by Beverly Lewis
- Perfectly written .

1 comment:

  1. So funny you'd do this! I've been meaning to update my facebook list, as both a sense of achievement, and a place to look back and remember what I've read! Amazing how quickly some books disappear from your memory! SO want to read the Twilight series, but am presently number 36 on the waiting list at the Gold Coast City library...it's gonna be a while. Will have to make the most of my Borders borrower privileges - WEE!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message. It's nice to know you were here!